Measuring Guide for Violin & Viola
Measure in centimeters from the neck to the middle of the palm.
SIZING FOR VIOLINS
Directions for Measuring: With the player’s arm fully extended and parallel to the floor, measure in centimetres from the neck to the middle of the palm.
|SIZE OF VIOLIN||MEASUREMENT (CM)||AVERAGE AGE OF CHILD|
|1/16||35 - 38 CM||3 - 4 YRS|
|1/10||39 - 42 CM||4 - 5 YRS|
|1/8||43 - 46 CM||5 - 6 YRS|
|1/4||47 - 51 CM||6 -7 YRS|
|1/2||52 - 56 CM||7 - 8 YRS|
|3/4||57 - 60 CM||9 - 11 YRS|
|4/4||> 60 CM||11 - 13+ YRS|
SIZING FOR VIOLAS
|SIZE OF VIOLIA||MEASUREMENT (CM)|
|12"||53 - 55 CM|
|13"||55 - 59 CM|
|14"||59 - 63 CM|
|15"||63 - 65 CM|
|15" 1/2||65 - 67 CM|
SIZING FOR CELLOS
Directions for Measuring: Sizing cellos is slightly more complicated than sizing violins and violas. The student should be seated at the edge of a chair such that the knees are bent at a ninety-degree angle (feet flat on the floor). The upper edge (back of cello near where the neck joins the body) of the instrument should rest in the centre of the chest (on the sternum) and the C peg should be slightly behind the left ear. The knees should lightly grip the lower bouts ensuring that the corners do not dig into the side of legs. (Corners should be slightly above the inside of the knees). The student should be able to reach both ends of the fingerboard with ease. The chart below shows approximate sizing by age.
Note: 7/8 size cellos are available as well. This can be a useful transitional size or a more comfortable option for those players who prefer a slightly smaller instrument.
|SIZE OF CELLO||AGE OF CHILD|
|1/10||4 - 5 YRS|
|1/8||5 - 6 YRS|
|1/4||6 - 8 YRS|
|1/2||8 - 10 YRS|
|3/4||10 - 12 YRS|
|4/4||12 - 13+ YRS|
SIZING FOR DOUBLE BASSES
Directions for Measuring: The 3/4 size double bass is the standard size for adults. 7/8 size basses and 4/4 sizes basses are made but they are less commonly used.
As a rough guideline, when both the bass and the player are standing upright, the bridge should be approximately at the same height as the large knuckles of the student's right hand. The most important issue is that the instrument is comfortable and that the student can reach the higher registers of the fingerboard without difficulty.
The chart below shows approximate sizing by age.
|SIZE OF BASS||AGE OF CHILD|
|1/16||3 - 4 YRS|
|1/10||4 - 5 YRS|
|1/8||5 - 7 YRS|
|1/4||7 - 9 YRS|
|1/2||9 - 13 YRS|
Simply for Strings team favourite: Everest Shoulder Rests are a sturdy, comfortable shoulder rest suitable for most players. Visit us in-store today for a personalised, one-on-one consultation to find the perfect shoulder rest. No appointment needed!
The only ergonomically designed and patented violin shoulder rests that provide the best comfort for all violin and viola players.
- Specially Engineered Fixed Tilt – The unique computer-modeled design of the EVEREST shoulder rest raises the violin to an ergonomically correct and comfortable playing angle. Teachers, students, and professionals alike have all praised this innovative and distinctive design: teachers love the way it trains correct playing angles, while students and professionals love the comfort, durability, and style.
- Adjustable – Unscrew grippers and select alternate positions for the best fit to the instrument.
- Simple and Virtually Unbreakable – The one-piece body integrated with adjustable leg height means that there are NO angle brackets or swivel mechanisms to break, and NO thumb knobs to misplace. The EVEREST Shoulder Rest is made of a strong, high-grade ABS material which provides both strength and flexibility, unlike the inexpensive polypropylene plastic that other shoulder rest manufacturers use.
- Improved Holding Legs and Foam – Identical and interchangeable parts for both the left and right legs means that there is no longer any need to be confused as to which leg attaches to which side of the body. The newly engineered lyre-shaped holding legs are made of a soft, non-skid, wear-resistant material, with additional height requirements built right into the body of the shoulder rest. The foam is made from high quality, extra-thick and extra-soft neoprene for long-lasting comfort and excellent support.
- Functionality and Style – The distinctive 3D computer-modeled design of the EVEREST shoulder rest maximizes comfort without sacrificing style and elegance. Traditional areas of high stress are reinforced for long-term durability. Engineered by Americans to American standards, this shoulder rest is built to last.
- Low Cost – This shoulder rest is designed to help meet the growing needs of school-based violin programs. With limited funding available to these programs, students simply cannot afford the outrageous and expensive prices other shoulder rest manufacturers are charging.
- Replaceable Parts – All parts of the EVEREST shoulder rest are easily replaceable, right down to the foam pad. For example, to replace the foam pad, simply remove the old foam, peel off the adhesive protective paper from the new foam, and stick.