- We asked: is the instrument better for ensemble playing or best for solo performance?
- Some instruments may sound sweet under your ear, but can get “lost” from an audience’s perspective.
- These may work better for fitting into an ensemble.
- The sound could be really attractive, but rather introverted.
- When we play in larger groups it’s about the overall sound.
- Others might sound less pleasant under your ear, but the sound carries clearly to your listeners.
- We might say these are more extroverted.
- Bassy character or treble (ie, deeper or brighter tone)
- Sometimes we say an instrument is “warmer” (more bass) or brighter (more treble).
- It may be a violin that sounds almost “viola-ish” so we lean more towards “bass” on the scale.
- A cello could be very bright and not as ‘boomy’ or big sounding on the lower strings, so we count it as more “treble” in character.
- The standard Stradivari pattern gives the most characteristic violin/viola/cello family sound.
- It’s quite bright and speaks out well as an instrument designed to dominate the room.
- We asked if an instrument had more complex tones or if it was more outspoken and direct.
- Some instruments will have a real richness in the overtones, giving a great sense of interest when we try them.
Measure in centimeters from the neck to the middle of the palm.
|SIZE OF VIOLIN||MEASUREMENT (CM)||AVERAGE AGE OF CHILD|
|1/16||35 - 38 CM||3 - 4 YRS|
|1/10||39 - 42 CM||4 - 5 YRS|
|1/8||43 - 46 CM||5 - 6 YRS|
|1/4||47 - 51 CM||6 -7 YRS|
|1/2||52 - 56 CM||7 - 8 YRS|
|3/4||57 - 60 CM||9 - 11 YRS|
|4/4||> 60 CM||11 - 13+ YRS|
|SIZE OF VIOLA||MEASUREMENT (CM)|
|12"||53 - 55 CM|
|13"||55 - 59 CM|
|14"||59 - 63 CM|
|15"||63 - 65 CM|
|15" 1/2||65 - 67 CM|
|SIZE OF CELLO||AGE OF CHILD|
|1/10||4 - 5 YRS|
|1/8||5 - 6 YRS|
|1/4||6 - 8 YRS|
|1/2||8 - 10 YRS|
|3/4||10 - 12 YRS|
|4/4||12 - 13+ YRS|
The chart below shows approximate sizing by age.
|SIZE OF BASS||AGE OF CHILD|
|1/16||3 - 4 YRS|
|1/10||4 - 5 YRS|
|1/8||5 - 7 YRS|
|1/4||7 - 9 YRS|
|1/2||9 - 13 YRS|
Packaged with Care
Trust us! We ship more instruments than anyone else in Australia.Any unlikely damages during shipping are covered by us. Delivery day is special when you receive a Simply for Strings parcel. All of our orders are packed by our team of musicians in 100% eco-friendly packaging. Investing in an instrument is a big deal - our instruments are carefully bubble wrapped and packed in custom boxes to minimise movement during transit. If anything is damaged upon arrival, we’ll sort it in a jiffy! Whether you're ordering a new set of strings or a delicate musical instrument, every single order is packaged and sent with care. READ MORE